Monday, February 15, 2010

Duck Legs (Feb 15, 2010)

Dinner tonight was about using the legs from the duck I got for last night's dinner (which only called for the duck's breast).

Duck breast cooks very quickly--I cooked them in 13 minutes last night (and perhaps 11 minutes would have been better). I don't cook duck a whole lot (I think Christmas 2008 was the last time), so imagine my surprise tonight when I took a closer look at the recipe I was going to follow and saw that it required 3 hours of cooking time.


So I tossed the recipe and winged "Duck Legs in Hurry." What I did was brown the legs a bit on the stove top; toss in chopped apples and onions; added a bit of cider vinegar, stock, and flambĂ©ed some cognac on top. I covered it and put in the oven to braise for an hour, then removed the cover and let it roast for 30 minutes to brown up.

The duck tasted great and the apples & onions were pretty good too (albeit a bit rich from all the duck fat they soaked up). The broccoli I had intended to use as a side vegetable was no longer any good, so I sauteed up some zucchini. And for a starch we had a medley of wild, brown, & whole grain rice. 



Oh, and we started with leftover beet soup from last night. I was a bit more successful in getting the 2-color effect this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment