Sunday, April 25, 2010

Zucchini Rice Gratin (Sunday, April 25, 2010)

I haven't left the house all day - this is very rare for me and I wasn't even that productive at home either.  It's been a very cold and rainy gray day. One thing I did do was make dinner.  I wanted to make Ina Garten's pork loin recipe but strangely, none of the grocery stores within walking distance had it in stock yesterday.

We just watched the documentary, Food Inc, and I'm a little grossed out by meat right now (this won't last, I'm sure), but I will tell you that this is changing the way Ethan and I think about food and what we purchase in the future.  Another food show we've been watching is Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.

Anyway, I made Zucchini Rice Gratin and a Shrimp Salad.  They didn't really go so great together, but were pretty good each on their own.

Zucchini Rice Gratin up close

For the Shrimp Salad, I made quite a few modifications.  I added some chili garlic paste as well as Sriracha sauce, I didn't add dill b/c I didn't have any, and I used one scallion instead of the red onion.

Shrimp Salad

Ethan made a delicious strawberry rhubarb cobbler for dessert - my favorite.  The strawberries were so good and fresh on their own.  I love that strawberries are in season right now. The rhurbarb came from our farmers' market.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, we're going to make a real effort to use locally raised meat. We bought some short ribs at the farmers' market yesterday and are looking into other sources for local meat. I particularly want to check out Gramercy Meat Market, which specializes in local organic, meat.

    ReplyDelete